List of Aluminum Free Deodorant Brands
Conventional deodorants and antiperspirants have multiple functions. By definition an antiperspirant cloggs the skin pores in the armpits or closes them so that only little sweat can escape. Many do that by using aluminum salts.
On the other hand a ‘pure’ deodorant does not prevent from sweating, it reduces the odor. The deodorizing effect neutralizes the smell of sweat produced by bacteria.
The issue of aluminum chlorides in deodorants has been discussed among manufacturers, scientists and consumers for a couple of years, now. There are different points of view in the interpretation of scientific research. One group of industry representatives and scientists sees no potential health hazards caused by the regular use of aluminum salts in deodorants.
The other group, mainly scientists, warns of the potential risks that can be caused by the aluminum compounds. Clear scientific evidence that the aluminum compounds in deodorants cause, in particular, breast cancer does not yet exist. However, consumers are already alarmed and are consciously looking for deodorants or antiperspirants that do not contain aluminum chlorides. And the offer is growing!
Deodorants and antiperspirants without aluminum are available from both the conventional brands, the private labels of drugstores and supermarket chains; as well as the Natural Cosmetics brands.
The products from the natural cosmetics producers are usually based purely on herbal ingredients, which are primarily organic and renounce animal testing.
List of deodorants without aluminum
All-natural and organic Cosmetics
- Bali Secrets*
- Best Deodorant Ever from Hygieia LLC: all deodorants
- Botanik NaturalDeodorant for men
- Bubble & bee organic deodorants
- Burt’s Bee’s Herbal Deodorant and Natural Skin Care for Men Deodorant
- Caitlin’s Super Natural Deodorants: Sandalwood & Olive Leaf, Bergamot & Cypress, Lavender & Currant
- Close To Me – Uplifting Deodorant Spray
- Coconut Snow All Natural Deodorant*
- CocoPits Deodorants
- Dirty Kids Organics
- DeodoMom Deodorants
- Each & Every Deodorants*
- East Creek Organics Rustic Roots Deodorant
- Every Man Jack Deodorants*: Cedarwood, Citrus, Signature mint, Sandalwood
- Explore Naturals – Natural Deodorant
- Fresh Kidz (Natural Deodorants for Kids)*
- Freedom Stick Deodorants
- Greenbody Natural Deodorants
- Green People Natural Deodorants
- Green Tidings All Natural Deodorant
- Jungleman All-Natural Deodorant
- Junior Varsity Naturals (Natural Deodorants for Kids)
- Just 4 Kids (Natural Deodorants for Kids) UK
- Human Heart Nature (Philippines)
- Herban Cowboys Deodorants
- Hippy Paste by Earth Conscious
- Kaia Naturals: The Takesumi detox made from bamboo charcoal
- Kopari – Coconut Oil Deodorant*
- Lafé’s Natural Deodorat Spray
- Lavilin Deodorants
- Lavender Moon All Natural Deodorant
- Lush Deodorants: Aromaco, T’eo, The Greeench, Guv’ner
- Madara Bio Active Deodorant
- Malin+Goetz Eucalyptus Deodorant
- ManCave Eucalyptus Deodorant
- Mirai Travel Deodorant
- Nalani All natural deodorant
- Natio – Natural Australian Beauty: Aluminium Free Roll-On Deodorant (Australia, UK)
- Native Deodorant – Coconut & Vanilla
- nasanta Magnesium Deodorant Men* (made in Australia)
- Natural Aid Magnesium Roll-ons (Australia)
- Noosa Basics Alley Oop Deodorants (Australia)
- Nubian Heritage Deodorants: Coconut & Papaya, Honey & Black Seed, Indian Hemp & Haitian Vetiver
- Nutrexin Alum-Free Deodorant
- Oars + Alps Natural Deodorant
- Organic Fields of Heather: Organic & Natural Deodorants*
- O’Deo Liquid Silver
- Primal Life Organics Stick Up
- Primal Pit Paste Natural Deodorant
- Primavera Life Ingwer Limette
- Purefy Deodorant Spray
- Purely Lisa Pure Pitz Natural Deodorant
- Real Purity Deoroller
- Rose Natural Deodorant
- Sam’s Natural Bay Deo
- Schmidt’s Natural Deodorant
- Solfood VEGAN Sol Free Natural Deodorant
- Stinkbug Naturals Deodorants
- Storm & Leif Deodorants
- Tom’s of Maine deodorants
- Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil Deodorants
- Truly’s Natural Deodorant, Truly’s for Kids
- Three Mamas Natural Deodorant Paste (AUS)
- Underarmed Active botanical luxury deodorant
- Ursa Major* No B.S and Hoppin’ Fresh Deodorant
Why is aluminum used in deodorants?
Aluminum in the deodorant blocks the pores.
Strictly speaking, aluminum salts are found only in antiperspirants, not in deodorants. Because even if we do not make the distinction in everyday language use, the two product groups have different effects.
Deodorants primarily cover the sweat odor, while antiperspirants are designed to prevent or reduce perspiration altogether. The aluminum is used for this: In plain language: Aluminum clogs our sweat pores!
What causes aluminum?
Through the use of aluminum salts, the deodorants or antiperpirants interfere directly with the detoxification processes of the human body. The human body uses some zones for purging toxins from the body like the armpits. The toxins are purged in the form of perspiration. An Antiperspirant, as the name clearly indicates, prevents the body from purging toxins from below the armpits and have them remain in the body. Antiperspirant are mainly useful for people who sweat excessively under the arms. But even for those conditions there are natural methods available that exclude aluminium.
Furthermore some people experience allergic reactions from the aluminum chlorides, for example in the form of a skin rash or irritation.
For years, it has already been assumed that aluminum could be a risk factor for breast cancer. It has also been associated with Alzheimer’s Desease. Especially the documentary “The Aluminum File” by the Austrian filmaker Bert Ehgartner in 2013 has brought the topic back into mainstream media.
However, so far there is no scientific prove that aluminum in anti-perspirants or deodorants does or does not cause cancer. But more and more consumers are concerned and are actively looking for alternatives.
Aluminum-free deodorant vs regular?
Human perspiration is odorless unless it is acted upon by bacteria. Bacteria bring about the fermentation of sweat and release various foul-smelling waste materials, which impart the unpleasant odor to sweat. Deodorants without aluminum work by killing these bacteria, which are responsible for foul odor.
As more and more consumers now react very sensitive to this issue, more and more brands offer aluminum-free deodorants. These deodorants are often also free of artificial preservatives, perfume or alcohol and still protect effectively against sweat and odor.
According to a market study by Beiersdorf 72% of consumers want deodorants without aluminum that leave little or no residue on skin and clothes.
Especially the manufacturers of all-natural cosmetic products have already developed alternatives that work. They use for example alkaline minerals which neutralize the acidic environment of sweat and thereby prevent the growth of odor-causing bacteria.