15 Paraben free makeup brands – without Phthalates and Silicones
Makeup products are using a variety of chemical additives in order to achieve their effects permanently. However, these ingredients are often problematic for the human body and the environment. Three of these ingredients in makeup are parabens, phthalates and silicones.
Many consumers are looking now for products that do not use these substances. But it is difficult, regardless of the price range, to find appropriate products. In this article we provide you a list of brands that offer makeup without parabens, phthalates and silicones.
What do Parabens do in makeup?
Parabens are used primarily as a preservative. They are added to water-containing cosmetics in order to avoid the development of bacteria in the contained water. The parabens, however, are highly controversial because of their impact on the human hormonal balance. More and more countries around the globe are imposing strict maximum limits for the use of parabens on the human skin. Some countries, such as Denmark, have already banned them from cosmetic products, all together.
The function of parabens can already be replaced by plant based ingredients such as essential oils or various harmless acids in order to prevent impurities and to combat the formation of germs, bacteria and fungi.
Why are Phthalates used in make-up?
Phthalates are used to plasticize the products, making them more flexible or better able to hold in color and scent. From nail polish to scented lip stick these chemicals are used in a variety of makeup products, usually listed as “fragrance.”
Phthalates are a group of chemicals that are suspected to be disruptive to the endocrine system, which is responsible for the hormone production. The effects of phthalates are related to their ability to mimic human hormones. A study by the University of Maryland reported that exposure to phthalates could cause reproductive abnormalities and decreased production of testosterone in males, as well as decreased male fertility. Other studies show a link between phthalates and premature delivery and endometriosis in females.
Why are silicones used in makeup?
Silicones make sure that makeup, foundation, eye shadows or lipsticks can be applied smoothly and keep the colors for hours. As soon as the silicones react with the heat of the skin the moisture evaporates and solid particles remain, make them feel powdery and hold the color pigments.
Silicones are especially controversial because of their effect on the environment. In particular, the silicones that are used in large quantities in hair care products. Via the sewage and sludge they are included in fertilizers and get washed into rivers, lakes and groundwater.
Silicones can be easily detected on the list of ingredients on the product packaging. They usually end with “-cone” such as “Dimethicone”, “Cyclomethicone”, “Amodimethicone” or “Dimethicone copolyol”. The natural cosmetics manufacturers use more costly ingredients such as almond oil, avocado oil or other natural fatty oils in order to replace silicones. These substances are biodegradable.
In order to avoid these negative effects it is a good idea to ĺook at makeup brands that use formulations that avoid these chemicals and offer makeup, foundations, lipsticks or eyeshadows without Parabens, Phthalates and Silicones; by the way, at reasonable prices.
Paraben, Silicone and Phthalate free makeup Brands
- from New Jersey
- Lipsticks, Lipsmoothers, Lipliners, Lipgloss, Color Blushes, Bronzing Powders, Face Powders, Liquid Foundation, Eyeshadows, Eyeliners, Mascara
- with formulas of vegetable waxes, oils, and mineral pigments
- all natural
- from Evansville, IN
- Mascara, Lipsticks, Cream Foundation, Eye Shadow, Pressed Powder, Lip Balm, Makeup Remover, Powder Blush, Concealer, Perfume, Lip Gloss and Cream Blush
- 100% natural and organic
- Rated one of the purest health and beauty brands on the market today by the Environmental Working Group
- no artificial preservative, coloring or additives
- no petrochemical or synthetic substances.
- Cruelty free
- from Silicon Valley, California
- Foundations, BB Cream, Face Primer, Concealer, Blush, Bronzer, Highlighter Makeup Remover, Eyeshadow, Palettes, Mascara, Eyeliner, Nail Polish, Lipstick, Lip Stain, Lip Gloss, Lip Balm
- 100% natural and 100% cruelty-free
- all products are free of artificial colors, artificial fragrances, synthetic chemical preservatives and all other toxins
- from New York City
- by Makeup Artist Rose-Marie Swift
- Makeup, Luminizers, Bronzers, Powder, Lip balm, Lip shine, Eye shadows, Eye Polish, Mascara.
- only Minerals (no Nanoparticles) and organic or wildcrafted natural ingredients
- Gluten free, GMO free, Soy free, Nano free, not tested on animals
Affordable Mineral Makeup
- Mineral Makeup, Base Minerals, Blushes, Eyeshadows, Finishers, Foundations
- No micronized minerals/nano-particles, no talc, no coated minerals, no Bismuth Oxychloride, no Synthetic dyes, no parabens
- No carmine, no fragrances, no artificial preservatives, no Petrochemicals
- Cruelty Free – No Animal Testing
- Non-comedogenic – Will not clog pores
Vapour Organic Beauty
- from Taos, NM
- Foundations, Concealers, Primers, Makeup Removers, Organic Nail & Cuticle Oil, Eye Colors, Eyeliners, Highlighters, Bronzers, Lipsticks and Lip Conditioners
- only natural, healthy, minimally processed ingredients with a minimum of 70% organic ingredients and the remaining 30% comprised of mineral pigments and essential oils.
- Clarity Organic Make Up Remover, Replenish Organic Nail and Cuticle Oil, and Lux Organic Lip Conditioner are USDA certified organic.
- All other Vapour products contain a minimum of 70% organic ingredients and 30% minerals and pure essential oils but are not certified due to their mineral pigment content.
- cruelty free
- All Vapour products are made in the USA.
- from New York, NY
- developed by Danish Makeup Artist Kirsten Kjaer Weis
- Cream Blushes, Highlighters, Bronzers, Foundations, Lip Sticks, Lip Tint, Eye Shadows, Mascara
- raw substances and natural preservatives extracted from minerals, plants and wildflowers
- made in Italy
- almost all of the makeup has been approved as “Certified Organic” .
- Cream Blush, Lip Tint and Mascara are Certified Organic (95% of ingredients organic) or “Certified Natural” by the Italian organic inspection body, CCPB (Controllo e Certificazione Prodotti Biologici)
- Eye Shadows are Certified Natural.
- no parabens, no silicone, no petrochemical emulsifiers, no synthetic fragrances.
- from Portland, Oregon
- Eyeshadows, Eyeliners, Mascara, Under Eye Brightener, Primers, Concealers, BB Cream, CC Cream Foundations, Powder Cheek, Lipsticks, Lip Gloss, Lip Butter, Lip Tint, Nail Top coat, Nail Polish
- gluten free, 100% vegan, 100% cruelty free
- no phthalates, no parabens, no sulfates, no propylene glycol, no mineral oil, no petroleum, no peanut oil, no triclosan
- Lipsticks from Bend, Oregon, USA
- No harsh chemicals. No animal testing. No toxins.
Axiology uses Mineral Powder Pigments, natural ingredients such as Organic Avocado Oil, Avocado Butter, Organic Castor Seed Oil and Organic Grapeseed Oil
- from Chicago, IL
- Foundations, Pressed Powders, Concealers, Blushes, Illuminizers, Makeup Primers, Eyeshadows, Eyeliners, Mascara, Eye Primers, Lip sticks, Lip gloss, Lip tints
- No Parabens, no Phthalates, no Triclosan, no Vitamin A, no Aluminum, no formaldehyde releasers
- Eyes, Lips and Teint all-natural cosmetics from Germany
- 100% natural ingredients, NATRUE-certified
- no animal testing
- made in Germany
- Complexion, Eyes, Lips and Nails
- 100% natural ingredients, NATRUE-certified
- made in Germany
- Free from synthetic colours, fragrances and preservatives, paraffin oils or any other raw materials from petroleum chemistry
- Made with plant oils and extracts from organic cultivation Dermatologically tested
- Developed and produced without animal testing
- Lip Sticks, Lip gloss, Lip care, Mascara, Eyeliner, Eyeshadows, Foundations, Powder, Concealers
- with certified organic bio-active botanicals.
- from Saint Charles, IL
- Mineral Makeup: Foundation, Finishing Powder, Concealer, Bronzer, Blush, Eyeshadow, Eye Liner
- truly natural ingredients that are organic, fair trade or locally sourced
- hypoallergenic, non-irritating
Rituel de Fille
- from Los Angeles, CA
- Lipsticks, Eye Soot and Lip Sheer
- All Rituel de Fille products are 99% natural
- handcrafted without parabens, phthalates, synthetic dyes or synthetic fragrances
- never tested on animals
- raw materials from companies that are 100% cruelty free
When it comes to makeup, you should be aware what you put on your skin. There are already a lot of brands on the market that do offer makeup products without parabens, silicones, phthalates and other chemicals. They make an effort to reduce the effects of those chemicals on our bodies and on the environment. Consider this next time you buy a lipstick or a foundation.
Image Source: Pixabay CC0 Public Domain