Silicone Free Shampoo Brands in 2020
Hair care products that use silicones get critcized more and more. Many shampoos and conditioners contain these substances. Silicones are used as a film former for each hair, so the hair can be meshed better and shine without appearing greasy.
Using hair care products without silicone is not only better for your hair, it is also better for the environment.
In this article we provide you a list of silicone-free shampoos brands.
Is Silicone really bad for your hair?
Silicones are available in different quality levels. The cheaper the shampoo, the cheaper the silicones. And the cheaper the silicones are, the heavier they are.
Especially with fine hair, silicones are problematic because they weigh down the hair and leave it seem powerless. That’s why they are more suitable for dull, curly or damaged hair.
Furthermore, the application of a permanent wave or dyeing of the hair is difficult when there is a layer of silicone around each hair..
How to tell that your shampoo contains silicones?
In the list of ingredients on the packaging you can detect them by terms ending with “cone” or “con“, such as dimethicone or Trimethicone. The term “Cyclo-” can also refer to silicones.
People who want to use silicones should use light water-soluble silicones that do not weigh down the hair. These include the lightweight silicone “Cyclomethicone” or “Cyclopentasiloxane”.
They can be washed out again. “Dimethicone”, however, is the heaviest silicone. It is mainly used in conditioners or cures. It is deposited on the hair.
Ecologically silicones are questionable as well. They are not biodegradable, their water-soluble residues pollute the lakes, rivers and groundwater. Even water treatment facilities have a hard time dealing with the silicones in the sewage.
List of silicones commonly used in shampoos and conditioners:
- Behenoxy Dimethicone
- Cetearyl methicone
- Cetyl Dimethicone
- Phenyl Trimethicone
- Phenyl Methicone
- Stearoxy Dimethicone
- Stearyl Dimethicone
- Stearyl Methicone
- Silicone Quaternium-22
Should I use silicone free shampoo?
Absolutely. It’s better for your hair, it’s natural and it is better for the environment.
People who have used silicone hair care products for a longer period of time must remain patient when switching to silicone-free products. It may take several weeks until the substance is completely removed from the hair.
For this situation, cosmetic manufacturers offer special Repair or Detox Shampoos. In the first weeks after the switch, however, the hair can still look fragile and brittle. Only when all the silicone is reduced and the new hair care substances can penetrate the hair it can regain its natural beauty.
Is silicone free the same as sulphate free?
No. Sulphates are the cleaning agents, silicone makes the hair smooth and shiny.
Sulphate compounds are surfactants, which mix well with both water and oil. They make sure that our scalp and hair is cleaned thorougly. The problme with sulfates is that are so strong, that it canmake the hair and scalp dry.
These substances are usually called SLES (sodium lauryl ether sulfate), SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate), and ALS (ammonium lauryl sulfate). You can find sulfate free shampoos >>>here.
Ig you have curly hair, check out silicone and sulfate free shampoos for curly hair here.
What hair products are silicone free?
List of silicone-free shampoo brands
All-natural shampoos: silicone and usually sulfate free
- Apereiron Keshawa
- Aubrey Organics
- Burt’s Bees
- Fundamental Shampoo
- Green People
- Herbal Choice
- JASON All Natural
- Khadi Herbal Shampoos
- Kiss My Face All Natural Organic
- L’Occitane Aromachologie
- Logona Shampoos
- Lush Solid Shampoos
- Maple Holistics
- Nature’s Gate
- Nubian Heritage
- Pura d’Or
- Shea Moisture Raw Shea Retention Shampoo
- Tom’s of Maine
- Tru Moroccan Best Natural Shampoo
- Yves Rocher
Conventional silicone-free shampoos:
- Art Naturals
- Fekkai Shampoos
- Garnier Fructis – Pure Clean
- Herbal Essences
- Living Proof Shampoos
- Nexxus New York Salon Care Shampoos
- Pantene Pro-V Shampoos: Sheer Volume, Aqua Light Clean Rinse Shampoo, Sheer Volume with Collagen, Ice Shine
- TRESemme Expert Selection, Expert Collection, Expert Botanique, Perfectly Undone
Does Pantene have silicone?
Meanwhile, some of the new Pantene Shampoos are also silicone free. However, some still use sulphates.
- Pro-V Sheer Volume (siliconefree but not sulfate free)
- Pro-V Blends Shamppo and Conditioner (silicone and sulfate free)
- Golden Series for Curly Hair (silicone and sulfate free)
Does Dove Shampoo contain silicone?
Dove has a vast range of shampoo and conditioner products we checked the ingredients of popular products and couldn’t find any without silicones. These are the Dove shampoos we checked:
- Dove Nutritive Solutions Color Care Shampoo (Dimethiconol)
- Dove Advanced Care Color Repair Therapy Shampoo (Dimethiconol)
- Dove Nourishing Secrets Cool Moisture Shampoo (Polyquaternium-10)
- Dove Nutritive Solutions Daily Moisture Shampoo & Conditioner (Dimethiconol)
- Dove Dermacare Scalp Dryness & Itch Relief Anti-Dandruff Shampoo (Dimethiconol)
- Dove Nutritive Solutions Moisturizing Shampoo for Dry Hair (Amodimethicone)
- Dove Nutritive Solutions Intensive Repair Shampoo (Dimethiconol)
- Dove Shampoo Fortifying (Dimethiconol)
- Dove Nourishing Secrets Thickening Shampoo (Dimethiconol)
- Dove Damage Therapy Daily Moisture Shampoo (Dimethiconol)
We hope you find this list of silicone free shampoo brands helpful and you find a product that is less harmful for your hair and the environment. However, this list can never be comprehensive.
Find out more about other silicone free hair products:
- Sulfate and Paraben free Shampoo Brands
- Chemical free Shampoo for Kids and Babies
- Silicone free Leave-in Conditioner
- Silicone Free Hair Oils
- Biodegradable Shampoo Brands
- Chemical free hair dye for grey hair
Foto Source: Fotolia