Paraben free Sunscreen without Oxybenzone
Sunscreen is another product that might contain a lot of chemicals that you do not want to put on your and your family member’s skin. As we use sunscreen in water some substances are also an environmental hazard. In this article we look at common ingredients like Parabens and Oxybenzone and provide you a list of Sunscreens that are a safe choice.
Oxybenzone or Benzophenone-3 is used in most conventional sunscreen products. It is one of the most common chemical UV A/B filters that forms colorless crystals that are readily soluble, and provide a broad-spectrum UV coverage.
However, modern research shows that oxybenzone is absorbed by the skin. It gets into the bloodstream and may cause allergic reactions. But it can also mimic estrogen in the body. BP-3 has also been linked to the bleaching of coral reefs and found to interfere with reproductive systems in fish, including feminization of males and reduced egg quality in females.
Parabens are widely used as preservatives in cosmetic and pharmaceutical products. The bad news is that they mimic estrogen and have been linked with breast cancer in women and declining sperm counts in men.
You should also watch out for the term “Fragrance” in the list of ingredients. This term is often used to cover up the presence of toxic Phthalates.
Fortunately there are alternatives on the market. Sunscreens containing mineral UV filters such as zinc oxide or titanium dixode. These minerals are physical blocks that sit on the surface of the skin without entering the human body. They reflect the UV rays and prevent them from penetrating the skin.
However there is a catch:
Why is micronized better than Nano?
Because the application of titanium dioxide or zinc oxide leaves the skin with a telltale white sheen, the cosmetic companies have developed nanoparticles (tiny microscopic particles) for the use in sunscreen.
Especially organic and all-natural brands therefor use “micronized” particles, instead. These are larger than nanoparticles and should not penetrate a cell membrane.
Here is our list of Sunscreen without Parabens and Oxybenzone or Benzophenone-3. They all use micronized zink oxide or titanium dioxide:
For the whole Family
Alba Botanica Hawaiian – Aloe Vera Sunscreen SPF 30
- biodegradable, gluten-free, broad UV spectrum protection with aloe vera, sunflower oil and tropical fruit extracts
- Recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation
- 100% vegetarian ingredients
- No animal testing, No parabens, phthalates, or synthetic fragrances
Sunology – Natural Sunscreen for Body SPF 50
- With sun protection from both zinc oxide and titanium dioxide
- noncomedogenic (Does not clog the pores)
- All natural active ingredients
- Formulated without Oxybenzone, Avobezone, Octisalate, Homosalate, PABA or parabens
- Cruelty Free Sunscreen
Butterbean Organics Original Formula Sunscreen, SPF 30
- With Non-nano particle, uncoated pure zinc oxide
- Certified Organic Ingredients with primary ingredient being coconut oil
- Water and sweat resistant (up to 80 minutes)
- Cruelty-free, reef safe, biodegradable.
- Top rated by the EWP (Environmental Working Group)
Badger Sunscreen Cream Lavender, SPF 30
- With Zinc Oxide
- No oxybenzone, octinoxate, or other chemical active sunscreening agents
- Water resistant for at least 40 minutes
- Lightly scented with Organic Bulgarian Lavender in an organic moisturizing base of Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter & Jojoba Oil
- BPA & phthalate-free tube ecyclable plastic.
Raw Elements USA ECO Formula, SPF 30
- With Zinc Oxide
- contains only USDA-certified organic ingredients, including sunflower oil, green and black teas, coffee, hemp seed oil, cocoa butter and mango butter.
- water resistant beyond 80 minutes
- Reef Safe
Cotz, The Healthier Sunscreen, Sensitive, SPF 40 – for irritated Skin
- especially for skin issues like acne, rosacea or psoriasis
- free of oils, chemical UV blockers, fragrances, preservatives, PABA, gluten and phthalates
- Water Resistant (up to 40 Minutes)
- Not Tested On Animals
Badger Balm SPF 30 Kids Sunscreen Cream
- high concentration of zinc oxide, sunflower oil and organic beeswax to moisturize the skin, and chamomile to soothe it.
- 100% Certified Natural and 95% Certified Organic
- Water and sweat resistant for 40 minutes
- Biodegradable and safe for coral reefs
Burn Out Physical Sunscreen – Kids – SPF 35
- with zinc oxide
- Chemical-free, paraben-free, petroleum-free, PABA-free, fragrance-free.
- non-comedogenic, non-greasy
- Biodegradable, ocean-safe, and eco-sensitive.
TruKid Sunny Days Sport SPF 30 Plus
- with Non-nano sustainably sourced zinc-oxide
- with sunflower oil, castor oil and green tea oil
- free of Gluten,
- No phthalates, parabens, and vitamin A
- in BPA-free 3.5-ounce tube
Goddess Garden Baby SPF 30 Natural Sunscreen
- With non-nano zinc oxide
- All-natural baby sunscreen, includes organic ingredients like aloe vera and sunflower oil
- 100% biodegradable
- 40 minutes of water resistance
- no gluten, vegan, and non-GMO
- cruelty free
- reef safe
- recyclable container
California Baby SPF 30+ Sunscreen Lotion Super Sensitive
- with titanium dioxide
- no fragrances or scent-masking agents
- Can be used on babies under six months
- Free of any fragrance or masking agent
- Soothing essential oils
- 80 minutes of water resistance
Thinksport Safe Sunscreen SPF 50+
- Non-nano formulation with zinc oxide’s broad-spectrum protection
- no avobenzone, oxybenzone, or chemical UV absorbers
- Highest SPF 50+
- Free of Paraben, phthalates, PABA and 1,4 dioxane
All Good SPF 33 Sport Sunscreen Lotion
- Non-Nano Zinc Oxide, Chemical Free
- with Organic Green Tea Exctract and Rose Hips, GMO free, Gluten free, Paraben free, Vegan,
- EWG Top Rated Safest Sunscreen Clear free, Non-nanoparticle
All Terrain AquaSport SPF30
- 16-Percent Non-Nano uncoated Zinc Oxide,
- Oxybenzone-free, paraben-free, fragrance-free
- Safe for sensitive skin
- water/sweat resistant up to 80 minutes in water
- biodegradable, reef-safe
- packaging made from recycled, recyclable material