Lotions without mineral oil – The ultimate List
Body lotions help to moisturize and soften dry skin. Especially in conventional body lotions you can find often substances which you do not necessarily want to apply to our skin. Consumers have become more and more sensitive and are now looking for products that do not contain chemicals such as Parabens, PEGs or Paraffin.
Paraffins, a derivable from petroleum (mineral oil), are obtained from residues of the mineral oil production. They are cheap to create and are a substance found in many body lotions and moisturizer creams.
What is the function of mineral oil in lotions?
Paraffins make the skin soft and reduce the loss of moisture. Paraffin oil or wax forms a water-impermeable film on the skin which prevents the substances for the actual skin care in creams and lotions to escape; and the skin feels smooth again.
But this artificial seal is becoming more and more controversial. Scientists suggest that by applying it regularly the skin loses its own ability to regenerate and without it the skin is becoming increasingly drier.
But also in the case of greasy skin, the use of paraffins can lead to excess sebum not being able to flow off, resulting in skin irritation.
How can I identify Mineral Oil substances such as Paraffin?
Paraffin can be easily identified on the list of ingredients as:
- Paraffinum Liquidum
- Paraffin Wax
- Paraffin Oil or
- Mineral Oil.
List of Body Lotions without Mineral Oil:
In this list we also looked for products without PEGs, silicones, phthalates and parabens. These brands offer chemical free body and face lotions. They mainly use plant based substances, essentential oils and natural minerals:
- Acure Firming Body Lotion
- Alba Botanica Very Emollient >>>*
- Amara Organics Vitamin C Face & Body Lotion
- Aubrey Organics Unscented Body Lotion
- Avalon Organics Hand & Body Lotion
- Barbary Natural Body Lotion for Men
- Burt’s Bees Fragrance Free Shea Butter* and Vitamin E Body Lotion
- Desert Essence Organics Hand & Body Lotion*
- Dr. Bronner’s & All-One Organic Lotion* for Hands & Body
- Ecco Bella Original Organic Water-Free Herbal Body Lotion
- Eminence Coconut Firming Body Lotion
- EO Everyone Lotion, Coconut plus Lemon
- Fundamental Skin Lotion – for Hand & Body – Unscented Natural Skin Lotion
- Good For You Girls All Natural Body Lotion
- JASON Cocoa Butter Hand & Body Lotion >>>*
- Kiss My Face Sensitive Skin Natural Moisturizer
- L’Occitane Shea Butter Ultra Rich Body Lotion
- Lavera Body Lotions
- Logona Body Lotions
- Nature’s Gate Moisturizing Body Lotion >>>*
- Nourish Organic Body Lotion
- Nubian Heritage Lotion
- Organic Fiji Nourishing Face & Body Lotion
- Puracy Organic Hand & Body Lotion
- Real Purity Hand & Body Lotion
- The Honest Company Face & Body Lotion >>>*
- Tom’s of Maine Body Lotions
- Weleda Body Lotions
- Wellness Prioritized Vegan Hemp Seed Oil & Mango Seed Butter Face, Hand, & Body Lotion
Frequently asked questions
Does Aveeno lotion have mineral oil in it?
Yes, Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion, Aveeno Skin Relief Moisturizing Lotion, Aveeno Baby Daily Moisture Lotion, Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer do contain Petrolatum which is a mineral oil derivate.
Does aquaphor have mineral oil in it?
Yes, Aquaphor Healing Ointment contains petrolatum as one of its main ingredients. Petrolatum is a common ingredient in many ointments and skin care products due to its moisturizing and protective properties.
Is there mineral oil in CeraVe?
No, CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion oil-free >>>* moisturizer with hyaluronic acid is mineral oil free. It is also fragrance-free, non-comedogenic based on a non-irritating formula
What can I use instead of mineral oil as a skin moisturizer?
There are many alternatives to mineral oil that can be used as skin moisturizers. Here are a few examples:
Plant-based oils: Oils such as coconut oil, jojoba oil, argan oil, and almond oil are popular alternatives to mineral oil. They are rich in vitamins and essential fatty acids that can hydrate and nourish the skin.
Shea butter is a natural, plant-based alternative to mineral oil that is rich in vitamins and antioxidants. It can be used to moisturize dry, cracked skin and is especially helpful for people with eczema or other skin conditions.
Glycerin is a humectant that can help to draw moisture to the skin. It can be found in many skin care products and can be used as a standalone moisturizer.
Beeswax is a natural emollient that can help to soften and protect the skin. It can be found in many natural skin care products and can be used as a moisturizer or to create a protective barrier on the skin.
Hyaluronic acid is a humectant that can help to hydrate the skin and improve its elasticity. It can be found in many skin care products, including serums and moisturizers.
It’s important to note that everyone’s skin is different, so what works for one person may not work for another. It’s always a good idea to patch test any new products before using them all over your skin.
You may also like: Body Lotions without alcohol
Foto von Sora Shimazaki