List of BPA free bottled water brands
Whether in food packaging, CDs, toys, thermal paper receipts, plastic water bottles or jugs, it is hard to escape the contact with the chemical Bisphenol A (BPA).
The European Agency for Food Safety (EFSA) adopted recently a new risk assessment of the substance and significantly reduced the limit for daily recommended daily intake of 50 micrograms per kilogram of body weight down to only 4 micrograms.
What bottled water brands are BPA- free?
The French Food Safety Authority banned the use of the chemical BPA in food packaging all together. Across the EU the production of plastic baby bottles with Bisphenol A has been prohibited since March 2011. The FDA however has a different view:
Based on FDA’s ongoing safety review of scientific evidence, the available information continues to support the safety of BPA for the currently approved uses in food containers and packaging. Source: http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/PublicHealthFocus/ucm064437.htm
In terms of baby bottles, in 2012 the FDA has banned the use of BPA-based Polycarbonate (PC) resins in infant feeding bottles (baby bottles) and spill-proof cups (sippy cups). A number of states in US also issued their own law to ban BPA.
If you are looking for bpa-free water bottles find the here!
What is BPA and where it is used?
Bisphenol A (BPA) is referred to as a plasticizer for plastic products. Actually, it prevents the oxidation of the plasticizer such as phthalates and acts as a kind of stabilizer. As a raw materials of plastics BPA is part of our everyday life. Polycarbonates are used for example for the production of reusable beverage bottles, CDs, toys, baby cups or pacifier shields. Epoxy resins are used in the food industry as the foundation of protective coatings and internal linings for food and beverage cans.
BPA is also used as a color developer in thermal paper, that we touch every day when handed over the receipts from the cashier. Daily contact with these materials is certain. Through packaging residues in our food and drinks it also enters the human body!
Effect on humans, animals and the environment
BPA is a combustible and a poorly water-soluble substance that is irritating to the respiratory system and can lead to dangerous eye damage. Animal studies also demonstrate that an increased BPA concentrations in blood and urine correlates with significant effects on female fertility , the development of the sexual organs; and links it to the possible vulnerability to certain types of cancers, diabetes, cardiovascular problems and obesity.
Especially water and soil organisms are exposed to BPA-containing recycled paper products. Therefore e.g. the environmental authorities in Germany recommend not to put credit card receipts into the recycling bin.
BPA free bottled water brands
For sure, water from the tap is more environmental friendly than bottled water. But for those who like bottled water and prefer a different taste to tapped water, there are already brands that offer bpa-free plastic water bottles.
Here is a list:
VOSS from Norway
- artesian water from Southern Norway
- packaged in the highest quality BPA-free, PET bottles
- puried drinking water through micro-filtration, UV lighting and reverse osmosis
- no chlorine
- no flouride
- electrolyte infused
- BPA and Phthalate free recyclable bottles
- Premium Pure Still Spring Water from Glens Falls, NY
- High 8.0 pH
- Naturally Alkaline
- The Spring Water Bottle is made from paper that comes from FSC-certified forests
- The bottled water’s cap is made of sugarcane
- Fully Recyclable Boxed Water Carton
- contains natural caffeine (68 mg per Liter)
- purified by Reverse Osmosis, micro filtration, and UV lighting
- 100% Recyclable BPA Free Bottle
- no chlorine
- no flouride
- OUNCE WATER
- Natural Alkaline Water
- Naturally Filtered
- Minerals & Electrolytes
- Created by glaciers in Wisconsin
- BPA Free Bottles
Saka Alkaline Spring Water
- Alkaline Spring Water with a pH of 8.22
- no additives or ionization
- BPA free packaging
Evamor® Natural Artesian Water.
- pH 8.8-9.1 alkaline
- US source
- BPA free.
Eternal Naturally Alkaline Spring Water
- naturally Alkaline and natural occuring electrolytes
- natural pH 7.8-8.2
- BPA-Free and Phthalate-Free Bottles
Waiakea Hawaiian Volcanic Water
- filtered through 14,000 feet of porous volcanic rock before re-emerging at its source, located at the eastern base of the Mauna Loa volcano.
- naturally Alkaline – 8.8 PH
- BPA Free Bottles
- 100% Recycled Plastic (RPET)
- For every Liter you buy, Waiakea donates 650 Liters to those in need through our incredible partner, PumpAid.
- 9.5pH Alkaline
- BPA Free Plastic and 100% Recyclable bottles
EJU 16 SIXTEEN Bedrock Water
- Contains Vanadium and Silica
- Natural PH of 7.7
- BPA-free 100% recyclable bottle
- 9.5+ pH Alkaline Charged Water
- BPA free bottles
BPA free Water Bottles
An even more environmental friendly solution is to use water from the tap and use reusable BPA-free plastic water bottles. Here are some popular brands with high ratings:
- Hydro Cell
- Opard Sports Water Bottles
Just use water from the tap, fill-up your bpa free water bottle and enjoy.
Image Source: Pixabay