5 non-toxic nail polish brands for Kids
For the year, nail polish has made girls and ladies of all ages feel confident and beautiful by helping them sport a gorgeous manicure. Coming in all sorts of colors, textures, and brands, the choices for different nail polishes are limitless. Little girls especially enjoy the feeling of having their nails painted a pretty color. It made them feel both pretty and grown up at the same time.
However, did you know that nail polish is filled with certain chemicals that can be harmful to your precious little ones? Though these chemicals might not affect adults, the chemicals can be absorbed through the nail, causing a threat to your little angle. Luckily, there are ways to help your daughter feel pretty without subjecting her to the nasty chemicals in certain nail polishes. Non-toxic nail polish for kids makes it easy to accomplish this task.
There are loads of chemicals in nail polish. I mean, how else would they get the polish to stay on your nails for so long and maintain its color and shine? An interesting fact about nail polish is that this common household item, especially for women, is considered a hazardous waste product, but we often do not consider this when applying to polish to our little one’s hands and feet.
Here is just a little about these chemicals we might find in our nail polish:
- Toluene is a common chemical found in paint thinners, which is why you might see it a great deal in nail polish. Too much exposure to this chemical can cause possible severe neurological harm.
- DBP, or dibutyl phthalate, is a common chemical found as an additive to different adhesives. It’s commonly known as a plasticizer. This chemical has slowly been removed from nail polishes, but some polishes might still contain it. There is no telling what too much exposure to this chemical might do to your body.
- Formaldehyde and formaldehyde resin is pretty well-known chemical. It’s commonly found in preservation such as animals for dissection or cadavers for medical research. Though it is a naturally occurring chemical, it can still be harmful to the body. This chemical is known to be a human carcinogen.
- Camphor, more commonly known as oil of turpentine, is used for embalming fluid or medicinal purposes. Camphor is also used as an explosive additive, used in mothballs, and even in vapor-steam products. It causes a few effects on the body in small doses, but it is extremely poisonous in large doses.
- Xylene is a flammable, colorless liquid that is often found in nail polish. Too much exposure to this chemical can cause issues with the CNS (central nervous system). The symptoms of this include headaches, nausea, dizziness, and even vomiting.
- Parabens are found in many cosmetics, and they are a form of preservative. While there is no link between cancer and parabens, this chemical compound can often cause skin irritations. We have already reported on Parabens in Lipsticks, Sunscreen and Make up.
The first on our list of non-toxic nail polish for kids is the brand Piggypaint. This company makes a safe product which is non-toxic, hypoallergenic, and eco-friendly. Just like any other nail polish, this brand dries to a nice shiny finish, and the company even sells an eco-friendly remover that is safe for children as well. They work hard to ensure that your little darling is safe from the harmful chemicals commonly found in nail polishes.
Karma Kids is a sub-brand of the main brand Karma Organic. This company works to sell a great product that is safe for kids, pregnant women, cancer patients, and even those with allergies. Their product contains no harsh chemicals or odors; it’s cruelty-free, it’s chip resistant, and durable. You don’t have to worry about your little one being exposed to harmful chemicals.
Ella + Mila
This nail polish brand is both eco-friendly and high-end, making it one of the most popular brands for kids. They have multiple color choices, and the polish contains none of the harsh chemicals mention above. It’s also chip-resistant and quick drying making it great for kids.
The most interesting thing about Bo-Po’s brand of nail polish is the way they market it for kids. Non-toxic and mess free, your kids can use the nail polish without having to worry about a mess. This polish is water-based, so it’s easy to clean up, and if your child wants to change the color, all they have to do is peel it off and start fresh.
For a nail polish brand that is both non-toxic, safe for kids, and cruelty-free, ADRIANNE K is a great choice. It comes in a wide variety of shades for you to choose from so you aren’t limited to a few choices. Since this product doesn’t feature harsh chemicals, it is safe for your little ones to use regularly without having to worry about too much exposure.
If you have been on the hunt for the best non-toxic nail polish for kids, you can look no further. The brands listed above are known for their non-toxic formulas that are great for your sanity and fun for your little ones. Now they can feel beautiful and confident just like you!